Saturday, March 03, 2007

Revelations Part I



*Just Braise has moved. Please visit me at www.justbraise.com!*


I apologize, but prompt drinking was essential...

Almond milk (homemade) + chocolate ice cream (Breyer's) = an amazing milkshake

Okay, so it's a little icier than creamy, but flavor makes up for it. If there is an almond infused chocolate bar out there please tell me. When Hershey's begins to make almond-chocolate syrup for my chocolate milk don't even attempt to hold me back.

I made one small milkshake for myself and all D heard was, "Oh gosh."
"What?"
"This is so good."
"Gimme. [Taste] Oh... this is so good. Make me one?"

As I've been going through The Cook's Book, I've been making random foods if I have ingredients on hand. In the Fruits & Nuts section I found a simple recipe for almond milk:

1 part blanched and skinned almonds (you can buy them like this, they are the all white, slightly unappetizing looking ones.
4 parts boiling water

1) Grind almonds in a food processor until they resemble course breadcrumbs. Put in bowl
2) Add boiling water, cover and let steep for at least 30 minutes.
3) Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer, press the ground nuts to release all the milk

It is good like this but I added a touch of honey and a dash of pure vanilla extract to spike the senses.

I have bought almond milk before and love it, but often find the storebought kinds too sugary. This homemade recipe is so simple and far superior. D and I used this milk in coffee this morning, deliciously nutty. It would be great in oatmeal. But tonight it hit peak flavor mixed with chocolate ice cream. Pure loving decadence.


View Stats
Rankingblogs.com: Defining your blogs worth..